Background

Sunday, November 28, 2010

My Journey to Motherhood: Where I am going

So when we left off...I was feeling like we were becoming the living definition of insanity (you know? where you keep doing the same thing, expecting different results?). Maybe not quite, because we did keep tweaking things but it just wasn't enough.

I started really digging into the PCOS diagnosis. What could I do differently to make this better? Anything at all was fair game. Part of the reason for this was that PCOS patients should "over respond" to fertility meds and I was clearly "under responding" (as in, there were not a lot of follicles growing each month). So I wasn't even a normal PCOS patient.

Several months ago I saw a book called "The Infertility Cure" which is based on eastern medicine. It recommends acupuncture, herbs, diet and lifestyle changes to achieve pregnancy. I also met a girl who had ovulated on her own (with no fertility meds) for the first time in years after a few months of acupuncture.

The idea of acupuncture was starting to grow. Maybe it would be better to treat the whole body and get well...rather than keep adding drugs and hoping for the best each month?

So I met with an acupuncturist and she was very encouraging about my possibilities with acupuncture. She can help me get back to normal, where my body produces it's own hormones. That sure sounds better to us.

For now, we are going to leave the RE behind and try this new path. We don't know exactly what it will look like, but we feel better about it. At least it is, today, a less stressful path. And that alone is a good feeling!!

Many people have asked me about this plan and want to know how it works for us so I am going to use this blog to keep everyone up to date on the treatments and how acupuncture is working for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to quote the definition of insanity to my husband all the time. It really just felt like we were going round in circles. I read the infertility cure as well - its really inspiring. I have been working on the body for a long time. But I think I need to work on my mind - I am hoping that will be the shift for me.